What is wrong with my blueberry bushes

mmckey2(8b)July 31, 2014

I have 4 blueberry bushes that were planted 6 months or so ago. The new growth on a few of them has these little guys on the under side of the leaves. They do not look like any aphids I have ever seen, does anyone know what they are?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmckey2(8b)

Also, a lot of the older growth looks spotty and raggedy like this, any idea what is causing this as well?

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 9:38PM
tlbean2004

I dont know what that is but i would recommend getting a fungicide for them. There is one a lowes in a red bottle. It is a concentrate and you dilute it with water.

Try something.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 9:42PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The top picture is some kind of insect eggs. Scrape them off or pull off those leaves.

This late in summer a fungicide probably won't do much good. Next yr if needed spray at the first sign of this issue. Also your plant looks like it might be short on fertilizer. Are there any green leaves? If not apply more fertilizer next yr. Not just any fertilizer but one high in nitrogen and intended for acid loving plants.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 11:12PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Don't know where you live, but perhaps this pub will help you -- click the link, please.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing blueberries

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 2:44AM
mmckey2(8b)

Thanks for the tips! This problem only reared its head in the last 2 or 3 weeks, I am figuring it must be because it rained for about 3 weeks straight before that. As far as planting, when I planted these bushes, I dug holes about 2-3 feet across and filled them with 60% peat moss 20% compost 20% the dirt that came out of the holes. I did mess up and fertilize them recently (less than a week ago) with regular 10-10-10 fertilizer, so I wont do that again, hope it does not harm them too much. I am in Louisiana by the way.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:15AM
More Discussions
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™