Are these grapes okay to eat? :)

silent88July 13, 2013

My red flame seedless grapes I posted about before started getting a black mold on some :x I was waiting the 3 weeks for them to be very ripe but picked them about a week early because I didn't want it to grow anymore. It seemed to all wash off but some of the grapes have blacky stuff like stuck to the skin. Like the picture. Can I eat these? I think I've seen it on store bought grapes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Have you ID'd the mold and it's cause? We have gotten powdery mildew on ours, but it's not black. Not sure what you've got on yours.

Where in So CA are you? We lived on a golf course in the hot desert, and because they watered so much, the wind would blow those sprinklers over to our grapevines and they were damp when they shouldn't have been.

Grapes like to be dry above ground, and they love heat. We moved away from that unusually damp place onto dry ground and the grapes love it here!

I think you could eat them, but if they aren't ripe, they won't taste good. Powdery mildew affects grapes by giving them a bad flavor, but you can still eat them.

You can click on the link below and maybe identify what is wrong with your grapes and how to prevent it in the future.

Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: Grape Pest Management Guidelines

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silent88

I honesty can't tell. It's just sort of a dark colored mold that's growing on even some of the new shoots. I ate a few earlier and I'm fine, but I still don't want to be eating mold!

I'm about a little less than a mile from the ocean in southern Orange County.

They taste fine, could be a little sweeter but either way store-bought quality.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™