Identifying Cherry

buttershugJuly 5, 2013

Greetings.

I bought the 1" sweet cherry tree from local Wamart 8 years ago. It has established and looks healthy but it bears few fruits - about two dozens a year. When I planted it I wasn't aware cherry trees need cross pollenation so I just threw away the tree tag w/o noting the variety. I only know it is a sweet cherry and not Rainier.

I don't konw if it is a self fertile type but for 5 years every year it bears but just very few fruits. I am positive it is the only cherry tree in the neighborhood. Is it possible for a non-self fertile tree to bear some fruits?

I am trying to find out what it is so I can choose the right one for 2nd cherry tree in the yard.

It flowers a lot and early - about 10 days earlier than the Stanley/Italian plums in my yard. The flower photo was taken 4/30 this year. I am posting multiple photos hoping someone can help to identify the tree.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

It's probably not self fertile or it would likely bear more fruit. It's most likely to be Bing but there are many other possibilities. A real expert might be able to tell some cherries apart by the shape of the fruit. I can't, they just aren't that different.

A self fertile variety like Lapins would fertilize Bing and most any other self sterile variety. Other self fertile varieties that would probably work are Whitegold, Blackgold, Sandra Rose, and Skeena.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 9:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

My Stella fruits sparsely like that. From Walmart's, it'd probably be a really common variety like Stella.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
raspberries
Hello F&O people, I wonder if you could help me...
eatsivy
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Do grape scion wood have to been last year's growth?
I have a 8-10 yr old grapevine that never bear any...
Sara_in_philly
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Sponsored Products
White Permanent Oval Label - Set of 270
$11.99 | zulily
Dualit 47167 New Generation 4 Slice Classic Toaster - Azure Blue - 47167
$319.99 | Hayneedle
Edge F3495 Bath Bar by Philips Forecast Lighting
$358.00 | Lumens
Finishing Touch Flushmount by Philips Forecast Lighting
$78.00 | Lumens
Hands Around the World´┐Ż Oval:5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Oval Rug Kid Essentials -
$255.95 | Bellacor
Urban Oasis Suspension by Philips Forecast Lighting
$350.00 | Lumens
Designers Fountain Outdoor Whitmore LED21731 Wall Lantern - Mystic Bronze - LED2
$135.50 | Hayneedle
Mikasa Expressions Martini Glasses (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™