What the heck is wrong with my raspberries?!

ptpulley(8b Western WA)July 15, 2012

This is the third year of a new row of raspberries. I started with six or seven small starts the first year, which grew and multiplied well, so the next year I had quite a few good healthy canes. This year I have a full thirty foot row and last year's canes are blooming well and producing quite a few berries. The problem, though, is the berries are mostly very small and they fall apart (or crumble) when we pick them. The berries are in a raised box against a concrete wall in a bed where raspberries grew about fifteen years ago. The berries in the back are larger and less crumbly. The leaves on the bearing canes are yellowing somewhat, which I think is what my berries always used to do. The new growing canes are huge and healthy, although I have seen a few whiteflies around the bushes.

I did a little research and see that this might indicate the presence of a virus. Does it sound like that to you experts, or are there other reasons for berries to turn out this way (like maybe too little water?)? We have used Miracle Gro to fertilize, and only once every few weeks. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Yes, could be raspberry bushy dwarf virus which causes crumbly berries.

Where did you obtain your plants?

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 11:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ptpulley(8b Western WA)

I got my plants from a friend, who has no idea what they are. He has not had the problem before, but this year his berries are doing the same thing.

Is there anything else that causes crumbly berries?

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 4:35AM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™