seeds for sase???

Jane269(6/7 WV)July 19, 2014

Recently moved from MI to WV and now have almost an acre to plant on looking for seeds for apple, pear, plum, peach and cherry, as well as any berry trees. Would appreciate any help - home updating kinda broke us. thanx a bunches :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
valgor(4b, WI)

I am probably not the best one in this forum to explain this to you, but seeing as how nobody else has posted yet... I can mainly speak for apples, as that is where my interest lies, although other fruits are often are similar in the way they are grown.

Unfortunately apples from seed is not the way to go, unless u want them for feeding the deer. To get a specific variety of apple you need one that has been grafted from a parent tree onto a rootstock that is known to have certain characteristics that are what you are looking for. Of course, you need to choose a tree type that suits what you want, not what works for others so consider the space you have available, how many trees you want in that space, what size of tree you are willing to manage, as well as what varieties are able to be grown in your area. Consider varieties that are more disease resistant if you are a beginner and not wanting to spray (organic is an option, but in my opinion lackluster and can be very frustrating) But planting a tree can be a long term investment, you want to get it right the first time to reach your harvest with minimal delay. Talk to a local who has some valid experience. Stop by an orchard this fall and taste some different apples to see what you like. If you can, talk with the owner about their trees. Most people love to talk to someone who is interested. Google any questions, but don't trust the first answer. Post your questions here. We have some real experts who are willing to offer advice. Sometimes there is a difference in opinion or methodology, but it will give you some options. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™