Peach twig borer

ahajmano(sunset 23, Mission Viejo CA)July 10, 2013

Hi all,

My stone fruit trees have been descimated this year by peach twig borer. I tried 5 applications a week apart of spinosad last month, but they are back with a vengeance. This season seems futile. How can I prevent this for next season?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsg47(7)

I lost two trees years ago, because I didn't use triazicide. I know many in this forum are going back to Imidan, and if I could find it I too would use it. But I have very good results with Triaz. My next spray goes on this weekend. Borers are the worst. They are very difficult to kill and killed two three year old trees of mine. Ugh hate them to this day!

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 10:08PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

You need to start spraying early, around bloom time. They aren't that hard to kill around here.

Here is a link that might be useful: peach twig borer management

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:19PM
ahajmano(sunset 23, Mission Viejo CA)

Thanks guys.

Fruitnut, do you use spinosad on them? Does Hort oil kill the overwinter eggs? I will start spinosad next year starting bloom time. Can you share your spray regiment?

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 4:57PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I allowed them to gain a foothold in my greenhouse one year. The next spring I knocked them out with a few sprays. Think I used dormant oil and BT but may have included an insecticide. Now I have learned how to keep them out and haven't had further problems.

Outdoors I'd have to spray every year.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 6:22PM
yawiney

Any way to avoid spraying but cutting off the tips before they go in too far? I only have 5 trees to worry about so it's easy enough to watch them and prune off the part with the borer. That's what iv'e done so far but this is my 1st year.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 10:10PM
eboone_gw

Does cutting off the affected branch tips right away get rid of the larvae? I found a few flagged tips that I must have overlooked when I sprayed 2 weeks ago and cut several open, found no larvae there. How long do the critters stay in the shoots before moving on? (I actually suspect mine were OFM, not peach twig borer)

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 8:23AM
yawiney

eboone, were your tips hollowed out? Mine were and there were larvae in them. I don't know much about this yet but it would seem if they are not hollowed out that it's not twig borer.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™