Kiowa or Black Butte

poolecw(Georgia 7b)July 15, 2013

I'm looking to add an extra large blackberry to the mix. I have heard good things about the Kiowa but don't know much about the Black Butte. I'd like to hear opinions on both, especially from folks that may have experience with both.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jtburton

I grow Kiowa (among others) and it produces a good flavored large blackberry. Mine average about 13g in size. For comparison, wild blackberries, at least here in KY average around 3-4g in size. I have not grown Black Butte but from the comments I have read on this forum, Kiowa is a better choice, especially in the south.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:49PM
poolecw(Georgia 7b)

Yeah, I'm finding better reviews on Kiowa. That's probably what I will go with. Thanks for the comment!

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:58PM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

Ive not been real impressed with Kiowa for flavor. Seem to be more sour than anything. Im in the process of getting rid of Kiowa and replacing with Tupi which is a much better berry at least in my neck of the woods.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 11:07PM
lucky_p

Love my Kiowas - biggest berry I've ever grown, and very productive - but thorny as hell! Thinking about trying a few Chickasaw, as well - but Tupi sounds intriguing; don't know much about availability on it, though.
Have not even seen Black Butte mentioned in any discussion threads in years - was getting favorable reviews for a while, but then just seemed to drop out of sight.

bb1977, you might need to leave 'em on the cane an extra day or so once they reach full color. to ripen a bit more, if they're too sour for you.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 12:27PM
RobThomas

Yeah, the Kiowas are very thorny. They also spread very quickly. Of the six varieties I have, Kiowas have spread the most and put up the most new shoots, similar to running bamboo. If you want to cover an area quickly, they'd be great. But, I'd keep them away from anything you don't want them getting into. Did I mention they are very thorny? :)

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 7:28PM
poolecw(Georgia 7b)

From what I've read, the Kiowas are erect and self supporting. Do you maintain your plants this way or do you trellis them?

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™