Raspberries and blueberries

stack316(6)July 13, 2013

1st time grower of both Raspberries and blueberries, all 3 plants were planted this spring. The raspberry seems to be out of control. Any suggestions as to what to do.? do they get pruned, do a put in a tomato cage?

thank you

raspberry

2 blueberries

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

The raspberries are uncontrolled, not out of control.

A large tomato cage could work, is a two-person job now, one to hold the berry canes vertical.

Better to just drive a stake in about a foot away and tie the canes loosely to that. For one clump of raspberries, that will work. Metal lasts longer than wood. Pruning depends on the variety of raspberry.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 10:46PM
melikeeatplants

You got a weed growing over that one blueberry. Or I've lost my mind....

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 12:27AM
ericwi

That raspberry is not out of control. It is trying to take over your yard. It knows exactly what it is doing. If your soil and climate are to the liking of this particular raspberry cultivar, it will send out horizontal roots, and sprout new plants several feet away from the mother. These volunteers can be pulled up as weeds, or mowed down, or allowed to grow. It is your choice. It is certainly possible to keep a raspberry patch confined to one spot, and thinned out enough so that one can get at and pick all of the ripe fruit. However, there is some effort involved-you could say that raspberries are not well behaved...

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 12:34AM
Bradybb(wa8)

I noticed that also about your first Blueberry pic.The big leaf plant doesn't look like one. Brady

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 12:47AM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

The big plant next to the blueberry is a pokeweed....you need to get rid of it carefully.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 8:47AM
stack316(6)

about the weed, saw that and was ready to pull it, thanks for confirming. should be fun to remove without killing the blueberry

will probably go with the stake idea

thank you

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 8:48AM
cem99

I bought two raspberry plants from Lowe's and the plant is described as "Mysore". However I noticed that someone had posted that this plant is actually a "Caroline" since the "Mysore" is a black raspberry and this tag surely shows this berry to be a conical RED. I know that these two varieties are certainly different in how they are handled at the end of the growing season.

This post was edited by cem99 on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 12:03

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Early varieties of blackberry
Hi all, Are there any varieties of blackberry that...
CaraRose
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™