Honeydew and Watermelons are splitting before ripe :( Help?

iluvbotany4life(Zone 5)July 27, 2010

I've got about 4 honeydew melons in my garden that are getting very large and 3 of them split wide open. The fourth was just beginning to split as well, so I picked it and it wasn't even near ripe yet. My watermelons are also splitting before they are ripe as well. Also, I have some cataloupe that are ENORMOUS, I'm talking the size of those massive watermelons you see in the supermarket. I picked one of these huge cantaloupes and they are not even ripe yet..why would they be so huge? I'm mainly concerned about the splitting melons. Some things that I've considered that may factor into this is that we have had a lot of heavy downpours here. Also, it has been unusually hot here all month. Nearly everyday it reaches near 95F. Lastly, I planted all my melons too close, so their vines are overlapping and climbing all over each other. I don't know if this can play any kind of part in the splitting problem, but I just thought I'd mention it. Any ideas as to what is going wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Sounds like all the rain has caused your melons to get very large. It can also cause them to split although I've never seen that myself. We've had about 5 inches this month mostly in the first week. No splitting from that but the vines sure grew a lot.

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 1:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wkmann6025_yahoo_com

My watermelons are doing the same....We have had downpours as well almost everyday....too much water. the tomatoes are doing the same..they split before red...i have to pick just as the color starts to pink up and bring in

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™