Crazy June bug population

Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)July 2, 2012

Anyone else getting a crazy number of June bugs? They are usually so few in number that I don't really worry about them. I have hundreds of them in my orchard now. At night when I shine my light I see about one every square foot near the ground. They are not causing too much damage except on a few recent trees which were getting eaten alive (until I covered them).

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Scott,

Here in Florida we have them as well except they are about 5 times the size of the northern variety. The grubs in the ground are huge as well....since I got my ducks the population of the grubs and adults has plummeted. I know that solution will not work for a lot of people but there is some satisfaction in turning pests in to meat and eggs.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 8:48AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Bamboo, have they been going after the new growth on your blbry's? Something after all my fresh vegetative growth.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 9:28AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Noogy, go out at night with a flashlight and you will see. On my blueberries its been these smaller june beetle like beetles, I don't know the name for them but I also have a lot of them this year. They are less shiny than June beetles and more plump and smaller and slower.

Scott

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 10:10AM

Noogy,

I don't think the adult june bugs feed at all....it is the grubs that do all of the feeding. Other than the tussock caterpillars nothing feeds on the leaves of the bushes here.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 8:28AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

BR, I know the adults feed because I saw them mauling my newly planted cherries, a dozen of them on a recently planted tree getting stripped. They usually don't eat enough to cause noticeable damage but this year they are since there are so many of them.

Scott

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 12:00PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

They (june bugs) feed on my plum tree too. The only tree that gets eaten is the plum but boy do they eat.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 1:47PM

Scott,

Well live and learn....I have yet to see the June bugs here eat anything but they very well may. I would bet the only way to control them is to treat the ground where they spend almost their entire lives. The ducks patrol just before dark and catch them coming out of the ground.that make a rather serious crunch as the ducks eat them.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™