Fire and milk for controlling plum brown rot

bobhei77July 18, 2014

Last year I started using alternating sprays of milk (1 cup/gal.), lime-sulfur, and then flaming the ground for any mumified plums (Mount Royal) with brown rot that I knocked from the trees with a long stick (I just used a small LP tank with an extension wand to lightly waft over any fallen diseased plums). Each idea was found in other organic disease control books or articles. On my trees I've gone from 100% loss to less than 10%. Seems good but wondering if others have tried, or have ways to improve each aspect? I'd like to move to my grapes next year as I have once again had a lousy crop from loss to powdery mildew with our extremely wet summer. Any ideas?

This post was edited by bobhei77 on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 16:27

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I gently pull off and step on bad plums and twist foot hard. Usually that does in all the spores on them for good. Flaming sounds like a very good approach though, it will fry any random spores that were loose. I am doubtful that milk does much based on scientific studies where it didn't do anything, but lime-sulphur is a big help.

Are you sure you have powdery mildew on your grapes? That happens in dry weather in my climate. Wet weather brings downy mildew. I use copper on it, nothing else that I tried worked. Powdery mildew is easy to get rid of if thats what you have, just use oil on it.

Scott

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™