Does a Mutsu apple tree have a chance of ripening in WI?

fruitmaven.WIz5(5)July 29, 2012

I've heard lots of good things about the Mutsu apple. There is one at Menards on clearance now, so I'm tempted to squeeze it in to my yard. However, I really don't want to take care of it only to find I never get a harvest. It's supposed to ripen in mid-October. In zone 5, near Madison WI we have a 90% chance to get a frost by mid-October.

Does anyone in a similar climate have a Mutsu tree? Will it ripen, and is it worth it? Thanks for your input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

Mutsu is not the easiest apple for me but it may well ripen there. Frost does not pre-empt further ripening, very hard frost does (around 26 for tender varieties), but how much cold an apple can take varies from variety to variety. Z5 may be the new Z6 anyway.

Japanese types tend towards low acid, high sugar. Mutsu is tasty if you like this sort and also a great cooker as far as holding texture and adding its own sugar to the recipe.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 6:13AM
ltilton

Madison isn't that much further north than Chicago. I've had no problem ripening Enterprise until mid October, which it needs, and I just got an October Fuji. I'd take the bet.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 11:05AM
fruitmaven.WIz5(5)

Thanks for the advice, I think I will try it!

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™