Plums - wild vs. hybrids

chris_7oaks(5)July 3, 2013

I have an isolated wild plum (Prunus americana) that bears no fruit. I'm planning on adding two more Plum trees near it this fall & looking for advice as to species. I try to stick to natives but would like to produce a decent & tasty harvest, as well. Are the hybrids significantly better for fresh eating than P. americana? I've heard wild Plums are good pollinators for Japanese hybrid plums. Could do two more wild Plums, or give hybrids a try. Not sure what the best approach would be, I appreciate any suggestions...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

Wild plims are concidered the best pollinators for hybrid plums hands down. HYbrid plus are said to have better taste then wild but ive also read some people having a good wild plum fruit as well.

If you have the space, why not another wild plum and a few hybrids?

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 8:03AM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I've tried some wild plums before, they were sweet with very astringent skin...also very small. Excellent pollinators. I think one reason i get such heavy fruit set on my hybrid plums is that there are large thickets of wild plums near my home. Hybrid plums are more like Japanese plums. Large and juicy. Some have very good flavor.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 10:01AM
scotjute

Wild plums can be good. They are as mentioned very small.
If they are growing wild, I would leave them. If I was buying and then planting the tree, I would stick to the domesticated varieties.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 12:07PM
chris_7oaks(5)

Thank you for your replies. Can anyone suggest any hybrids they've had success growing (& eating)? Hoping to plant 1 or 2 hybrids and another P. americana this fall. Thanks!

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™