I'm harvesting pomegranates.

itheweathermanAugust 21, 2013

For the past three days I been harvesting pomegranates---I don't know the variety but I'm 95% sure that it's an heirloom---they are sweet but not super sweet, they were good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Avocado101(9A Southern California)

Was it raining recently? Pomegranate fruits tend to crack open when watered. I tried to water the base of the plant only. Mine aren't ripe yet. Mine usually start to ripe in October, and by Thanksgiving, they are all gone.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 12:30AM
sdelafuente(9)

Next to my house is an abandon lot. Last week I notice there is a mature pomegranate growing, I have lived in that house for 3 years and I thought it was some type of mistreated bush. Usually nothing but bare branches and few leaves. It has very small and cracked fruit. It has been raining alot this summer. So that would explain the cracking, i thought it would be the lack of fertilizer.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 2:12PM
HeyJude2012(10b/24 San Diego)

I have a mini dwarf Pomegranite. Such a cute little tree/bush. I was so excited to see there was a little mini Pom on it a few weeks ago. Today when I went out to water, I noticed the fruit was gone. :((( It wasn't anywhere near being ripe. I can't imagine it tasted very good.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 10:20PM
lucky_p

I know that rind and aril color varies from one variety to the next, but it doesn't look fully-ripe in your photos - or at least not like I expect to see in a good one - and I'm accustomed to the poms back home in AL on the z7-8 interface coming in in late Sept/early Oct. - but, once they start splitting, due to fall rain, etc., you've pretty much gotta pick 'em, regardless, or they start rotting on the bush.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 7:15AM
MrClint

Yeah, I'd say you're harvesting a bit early. But if they are splitting you don't have much choice. Poms can still be pretty sweet when harvested early, but it's better to wait to get the full flavor profile.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™