Help Identifying Peach

TomAndJerryGardenerAugust 18, 2013

A few weeks ago I went to Dalian, China and while there I ate a peach. The outside of the peach was very dark and the inside of the peach was fully red. The Peach was fairly large. Ones anyone know what peach it is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Red flesh is one class of peach. The Chinese varieties are not found in the US but some common red-flesh US peach varieties are Indian Cling and Indian Free.

Scott

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:12PM
TomAndJerryGardener

What does it mean by" one class "

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:20PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I probably should have said one type of peach. Prunus persica, the peach, is one species and in it are several different types. Nectarines are another type, they are also prunus persica but are a particular genetic trait of that species. Red flesh is similarly a genetic trait found in some varieties of peach. There isn't just one variety of red fleshed peach, there are many varieties with that trait. None of the modern Chinese red-fleshed peach varieties can be found in the US, but other varieties with the red-fleshed trait can. The US varieties are children of peaches that came from China via Europe, all peaches originate in China.

If you want to learn more about the modern peach varieties in China, look at the book "The Peach: Botany, Production and Uses" in Google books, chapter 2 is on Chinese peaches. Some pages are not shown in the free preview but there is a fair amount available.

Scott

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™