Standard Peach - Pruning to Maintain Size

TowsoniteAugust 26, 2013

I was given an Elberta peach tree, and it's a standard (non-dwarf) variety. The height is expected to be 15 to 20 feet and width 8 to 20 according to specs. I would have preferred a tree that's 10 to 12 high and 12 to 15 wide, but it's hard to beat free. From what I've read about peach trees, there is a lot of annual pruning that's going to be involved. Will I, through regular annual pruning, be able to keep the tree in my preferred range without causing issues? Height is the bigger concern.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mes111(5b -Purling NY & 7b -Nassau County NY)

Yes you will be able to control the height of the tree.

Once you set the framework/shape of he tree by pruning when it is young, summer pruning will control the size.

Remember, generally speaking, winter(dormant) pruning leads to vigorous growth while summer pruning will reduce vigor and lead to more fruit wood formation.

There is a huge amount of info out there. Search "summer pruning fruit trees", "summer pruning peach trees" you will have enough info to take up the entire winter to plan your moves.

Mike

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:36AM

Deleted duplicate
Mike

This post was edited by mes111 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 10:15

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:17AM
fireduck(10a)

M has given you good info. Also, keep in mind that peaches bear fruit on last year's wood. Because of that...consider "thinning" cuts rather than "heading" cuts on your pruning.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:29AM
Towsonite

Thank you for your responses. In truth, I'd rather keep the tree even small than described above. I suppose I didn't want to sound ridiculous in the initial post. Do you believe with a tree of this variety I can keep it, let's say within step ladder height for a normal human being (of which I am, height-wise at least)? 8 to 9 feet high or is that pushing it?

I did notice there were a ton of posts on peach tree pruning. I'll take a look through them as everyone suggests.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 1:12PM

Absolutely... you can keep it at 8-9 feet.

There is a "summer pruning" video on Dave Wilson's Nursery. The link is attached. It should eliminate any "fear" you might have.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: summer pruning

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™