Nick Botner selling property

milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)August 10, 2012

I was trying to find a place to get scion for Collete apple when I ran across a post on http://www.wagonwheelorchard.blogspot.com stating that Nick Botner is retiring. Sure enough I found his property listed on Zillow. Ugh, someone got a spare $1.6M to keep the legacy going?

"Absolutely unique national treasure! World-renowned variety of fruit trees. 10 acre orchard with 4,000 apples, 500 grapes, 500 pears, 160 cherries, 130 plums, and more!. Absolute one of a kind property, with everything needed to carry the tradition forward. 10+ acres of timber, with pasture & woodlands. 2568 sq ft home, built in 1991 with stunning views of the property."

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitmaven.WIz5(5)

I know what I'd do if I won the lottery! To bad I never buy tickets.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 10:24AM
Axel(12b/Sunset H2)

Yes, it's been for sale for quite a while. Thankfully it is over-priced and will take a bit longer to sell. We've been trying to find a "fruit" sort of buyer for him, but so far, no bites.

If I had put in all the efforts he has, I'd be pricing it that high too.

But in all honesty, I've got way more than I can handle with 800 varieties of apples and 50 varieties of pears. I can't imagine curating a collection of 4,000 apples. This is the sort of thing that needs to be handled by an institution.

If I was a multi-millionaire I'd buy it and create an institution to save the heritage collection.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 12:14PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Yeah...no one person is tackling that forest... That would require a team. Can't believe some internet millionaire hasn't picked it up yet.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 12:51PM
murkwell

The Home Orchard Society out of Portland is trying to propagate to preserve as much as they can, but it is an enormous task.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 4:44PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

When I called on the phone he would take the time to talk to me and answer questions, just as if he had all the time in the world. He sent me more varieties than I had ordered and even sent me a refund check because he was out of what I had ordered.

Axel is right, it would take an institution to handle what he was doing. What an amazing legacy he has created.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 1:38AM
More Discussions
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™