Italian Lemons under attack - Please help!

CoogieAugust 13, 2014

Hi GWeb,

I'm new to the whole planting thing. I have 7 seeds from an amazing Siracusa/Femminello St. Teresa/Sorrento Lemon (whatever the real name may be). Basically, I brought back two lemons from Sorrento, Italy and have started to grow them in a large pot outside my apartment.

Everything has been wonderful with them the last two months. They've grown (between 1 1/2 inch to 2 1/2 inch in height with bloomed leaves) due to a lot of rainwe've had in Houston and they love the humidity here. The last few days I've been coming home to my largest (of my four growing) with a half eaten leaf. I didn't pay much attention... I just water these little ones. I haven't put any pesticide. Yesterday evening, we had a ridiculous storm. I leave this morning and all my little guys are missing leaves. Can lemon trees continue to grow without leaves?

While inspecting them tonight, I noticed that there was a caterpillar (of unknown species) roaming around my pot and I panicked. I pulled it out and ran to the computer to find some solutions. What I did do was:
1) Get warm water mixed with dish soap to cover my baby trees from being completely eaten to the roots.
2) I then busted out my citrus tree feed and spread it around the top of the soil and watered the area.
3) Sprayed the trees again with a bit of soapy water.

I really am out of my element here -- are these trees too far gone to rescue?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

A photo might help people answer that.

In the meantime, recall that panicky growers can kill a plant just as easily as pests and disease.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™