Taylor raspberry plant sprawling

neptune24August 14, 2012

I planted a Taylor raspberry in March. The main cane seems to have died, but months ago another one popped up about an inch away and started growing at a 45-degree angle. It didn't get very high before it started trailing on the ground, however. It's now about 3 feet long, and most of it is lying on the ground.

Should I: a) prune the plant (if so, when?), b) support the plant with a trellis, or c) do absolutely nothing?

Thanks for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noogy(6 sw mi)

b. You'll get fruit from it next year. Floricane floweer on 2nd year wood. Have you grown primocanes?
I've got friggin' Taylor and it's been a bear keeping it in bounds. I'd tie it as it will be easier to deal with. I prefer to dedicate an area for them. Behind the garage, somewhere where they'll be contained by a foundation, driveway, dense woods, ravine, etc. They're invasive as most raspberies are.
I've learned the hard way...

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 8:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neptune24

Thanks, Noogy. Have I grown primocanes? Well, I planted a Heritage everbearing last year, so I guess that means "yes"?

OK, I will tie up my Taylor--and if it behaves really well, I might even put it on a leash and take it for walks. ;)

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 2:48AM
More Discussions
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™