Ground Cherries the size of peas?

Brandon_the_Random(7b)August 17, 2014

As the name implies, I thought my ground cherries would be the size of actual cherries or at least cherry tomatoes. However, they're ripening and turning yellow when the fruit inside is the size of a pea. There's a bunch of pods, but what should I do to get larger cherries next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

They should as the plant becomes bigger produce slightly bigger fruit. Mine are larger than peas, at first they were small.
Here's a photo, and you can see the ground cherries in the bowl At left, wood bowl has cherries still in paper lanterns, white bowl has husked cherries. At top is a square container with cherry tomatoes (Sungold). As you can see, i know not that well, they are only slightly smaller. Maybe it's the cultivar? Mine are Aunt Molly.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 23:38

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 9:29PM
fabaceae_native

Don't let the poor name of "ground cherry" fool you! Think of these as tiny yellow cherry tomatoes, with more of a fruity character...

I think size has the most to do with the species (there are quite a few) and variety⦠but don't worry about the size as much as the taste, by far the best (sweetest) ones I've had have been the smaller types. The largest are tomatillos, which don't have much sweetness, but rather a nice acidic taste and used like tomatoes.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 10:29PM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

As others have said, this is normal. The variety Goldie has slightly larger fruit. In addition, give the plants plenty of space - crowding tends to result in smaller fruits.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™