Peach leaf curl disappears... how to keep trees healthy?

Central_Valley(9)August 19, 2013

We have two apricot trees on our property, both of which appear to have grown back from stumps. Each year they set a few fruit, which shriveled before it ripened. We never got a professional diagnosis, but the symptoms were a good match for peach leaf curl. Due to the other demands on our time, we never got around to giving these trees any care.

This year both trees staged a miraculous recovery. There was no sign of leaf damage. Each tree bore dozens or hundreds of fruit, much of which has ripened normally.

What are these trees' prospects? Having had one healthy year, are they likely to continue to do well unless something re-infects them? Or is this a one-time event, unlikely to repeat itself unless Mother Nature repeats the conditions (whatever they were) that made it happen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
swampsnaggs

A dormant copper or chlorothalanil spray should keep them leaf curl free. Leaf curl is a sporadically appearing disease. Some years it is completely absent without spraying. As always, consult your local ag extension office for general recommendations like this for home gardeners.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:26AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Central Valley,

Apricots don't get peach leaf curl. Something else is going on w/ your apricots (not sure what).

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 10:18AM
fireduck(10a)

O is correct. Apricot trees often are difficult to fruit unless there is adequate chill for the variety you are growing. My apricots have been very sketchy in my SoCal weather.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™