What's wrong with my Raspberries

scuzzynuttyAugust 6, 2012

I recently planted a raspberry plant I picked up from Lowes. It's starting to fruit now but there are these funny white spots on several of the berry droplets. The berries I picked don't taste good either, kind of a plain bland taste.

Is my fruit diseased or something? I always see this one grasshopper hanging around. What is his relation to raspberry plants?

Any help would be apprecaited. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenn_russell(6b RI)

Google "Raspberry/Blackberry drupelet disorder" which is caused by excessively strong sunlight, etc. It's quite common, and does affect the flavor of the berries.
-Glenn

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 9:25AM
melikeeatplants

Yes, looks like they got hit with more sun than they could handle. I think the bland taste has to do more with the first fruit on a young plant. I bet the raspberries will taste much better in a couple of weeks, even if they have some druplets that were sun damaged.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 10:33AM
dirtslinger2(6)

Mine have same. I am expecting larger, bushier plants in year 2 will create more shade for berries.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 11:35AM
davidguss(6 Walla Walla, WA)

I moved my raspberry patch to an area that gets full afternoon sun. Since then I've had a lot of sunscald. Before it was seldom a problem. I've noticed this year that the variety Saanich shows more resistance than other varieties. It also is very sweet and doesn't crumble.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™