What's wrong with my Raspberries

scuzzynuttyAugust 6, 2012

I recently planted a raspberry plant I picked up from Lowes. It's starting to fruit now but there are these funny white spots on several of the berry droplets. The berries I picked don't taste good either, kind of a plain bland taste.

Is my fruit diseased or something? I always see this one grasshopper hanging around. What is his relation to raspberry plants?

Any help would be apprecaited. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenn_russell(6b RI)

Google "Raspberry/Blackberry drupelet disorder" which is caused by excessively strong sunlight, etc. It's quite common, and does affect the flavor of the berries.
-Glenn

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 9:25AM
melikeeatplants

Yes, looks like they got hit with more sun than they could handle. I think the bland taste has to do more with the first fruit on a young plant. I bet the raspberries will taste much better in a couple of weeks, even if they have some druplets that were sun damaged.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 10:33AM
dirtslinger2(6)

Mine have same. I am expecting larger, bushier plants in year 2 will create more shade for berries.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 11:35AM
davidguss(6 Walla Walla, WA)

I moved my raspberry patch to an area that gets full afternoon sun. Since then I've had a lot of sunscald. Before it was seldom a problem. I've noticed this year that the variety Saanich shows more resistance than other varieties. It also is very sweet and doesn't crumble.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Plum tree
My plum tree has new growth. I remember a couple of...
tim45z10
Fahey Scion List
Wondering if someone had the ability to and time to...
kniles38
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Edwin Turlington
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™