Ripening peaches

creekweb(6,7)August 22, 2013

I usually pick my peaches a few days before they're ripe, while they are still firm and have not reached peak sweetness, then ripen them further inside before refrigerating them. My crop this year is too large for this approach and I was wondering if I could still pick at this firm, semi sweet stage and refrigerate immediately and then later (days to weeks) ripen to full sweetness at room temperature or will the early refrigeration adversely affect the ripening process?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creekweb(6,7)

Thinking it over, a better question would be whether at storage temps of 32 - 40F would unripe peaches sustain injury that would prevent further ripening when put back at room temperature.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 8:42AM
rayrose(8)

Peaches need the sun to obtain full sweetness, so I presume that once you pick them and refrigerate them, that the sweetening process would stop. They will still soften up, but that's it.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 9:23AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

creekweb:

What I've read several times is that some stone fruit cultivars are damaged when refrigerated others aren't. Breeding cultivars that don't suffer damage is a stated objective of some breeding programs so it's a real issue.

The injury when it occurs is at temperatures above 34F. 32-34F is the best temperature.

I've not had injury holding my fruit for up to 2-3 weeks and I think I'm above 34F.

The classic damage I've seen is fruit from Chile that is shipped up on a boat and suffers internal breakdown.

I'd say you need to try it and see what happens.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™