Fruit trees for Upstate NY

anne125August 3, 2008

I want to plant an avenue of flowering fruit trees in NY 12581 and need to know which ones will thrive, when is the best time to plant them and any recommendations on where to get lots of them at a good price - thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theaceofspades(7 Long Island)

anne125, I grow fruit tree upstate NY just north of Catskills park. We have 40 wooded acres with several acres cleared with a cabin. We grow plums, pears, apples. We started planting about 15 years ago. It depends on how much work you want to do so you can decide what types of fruit trees to plant. For instance, apples require about 8 sprays per year to produce fine apples. Plums about 6 sprays. Pears about 2 spays or none. This spring we replanted the dead apple trees with several varieties of pears. While it sounds great to have rows of apple trees, they are tough to grow and we have given up. We planted a couple varieties of asian pears that ripen on the tree like apples. We also planted cold hardy and new patented pear tree varieties. The insects and animals ignore the pears and are attracted to the apples and plums.

St, Lawrence Nurseries, NY. will be shipping trees for fall planting. Fall planted trees have a head start on spring planted trees. They send out roots and adapt. Just remember to plant where the trees will get 8 hours direct sunlight.
The trees we got in the spring were large caliper and some have grown 3 feet already.

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Lawrence Nurseries

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™