Will a cherry tree grow from the pit?

allenwrenchAugust 4, 2008

Will a cherry tree grow from the pit?

If so, will be it the same type of tree as the fruit came from?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

You will get another sweet (or sour) cherry but it may have different fruit from the parent tree.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 9:22AM
denninmi(8a)

I can't answer about sour cherries, never noted them to grow from any of my pits. I have had sweet cherry seedlings grow, but they revert back to the wild species, Prunus avium, bird cherry. Fruit is much smaller, thin-fleshed, same size pit, tends to have a bitter flavor. Makes a nice ornamental, fast growing, and you can make a nice jelly from the juice, but it's not great in terms of eating quality.

I know they must grow sweet cherries somehow from seed in breeding programs, but any I've grown from seed have been the bird cherry type.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 4:20PM
fruitgirl

It will, but chances are it won't be any good. There is just one (I think) sweet cherry that's self-compatible, so pollinizer trees are planted in orchards. These are often not suitable for eating, and that's why the fruit you get if you try to grow out a tree from fruit you bought in a store is crap.

so, dennimi, the seedlings don't really revert to the wild species. the reason the cherries that result from crosses in breeding program are (with luck!) good is because the breeders are making focused, planned crosses between two genotypes with desirable traits.

Tart cherries can self-pollinate, so chances of getting something good are better from it, but it won't be the same as the parent.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 6:27PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The odds depend on the specific genetics involved in each instance. It is often stated, as here that seedlings of cultivars automatically have inferior characteristics. That is not necessarily the case. Many new cultivars of various garden plants are based on seedlings that arose. Many of these were not the result of intentional crosses.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 10:29PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Correct!
I have eaten many cherries from seedling trees [Bird droppings], in Switzerland, along ditches and forest, a little small but good!
Konrad

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™