If you have a plethora of peaches...

hannah9880(5b)August 27, 2013

If you like to freeze peaches and you have lots of them, you might try this: mix 2 cups of peeled peaches with 1 tablespoon orange juice CONCENTRATE and 1/4 cup sugar. Bag in freezer bag--( I always double bag frozen items).
So fast, so easy--way faster than canning. Using orange juice concentrate came from an old Farm Journal cookbook from the 60's. I have tried various combinations of oj and sugar and like the above best. You could try orange and pineapple juice concentrate too. I have tried this with my peeled Superior plums to see how it would taste next winter.

The benefit of using the oj is that you can refrigerate left-overs and the peaches don't brown. (Last year's serendipity since we normally consume them all after thawing.)

When my children were little, I used only oj to freeze peaches, but now this gives me a tummy ache.

By the way, thaw the peaches one minute in the microwave. Split up the partially thawed peaches with a fork into serving sizes--two for us--and microwave each portion again to your liking, usually another minute.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I myself like to freeze in quart sizes. I never tried OJ before. I never heard of using OJ? I use apple juice one cup per quart (about 5 peaches). NO SUGAR. The juice will prevent drying, freezer burn and oxidation (browning).
Peach or white grape juice can also be used. Besides peaches/nectarines, plums, cherries or figs can be done this way too. With your method, I would worry about freezer burn, and I try to avoid sugar. My method fruit should be excellent for 12 months frozen. You should use freezer zip locks and remove as much air as possible. A straw can help do this. Make sure fruit is completely coated, add more juice if needed.
If you have a vacuum sealer juice is not needed to avoid freezer burn. You can use 1/2 teaspoon of absorbic acid (find it next to the pectin at the store). Add 3 tablespoons of water and shake to coat fruit.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 9:53

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 9:49AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

The OJ contains ascorbic acid (vit C). That is what prevents browning. There is an expensive product called "fruit fresh" to prevent browning during freezing or canning. It contains both ascorbic acid and citric acid. Ascorbic acid is the main ingredient to keep the fruit from browning.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:42PM
hannah9880(5b)

Since I am no longer a spring chicken I have tried nearly every method of preserving produce known to man. I've used Fruitfresh and vit.C tablets, etc. I just wanted to pass on a quick, easy, and tasty method using readily available ingredients to younger members of this forum.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 8:45AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

We each have our own ways, now they have a lot of experimenting to do. My method is even easier, one ingredient. it doesn't get easier! I learned my method from an old web site. Let me see if I can find it...Yup, still there! Make sure you check the home page, great web site for those inclined.

Your method looks good. Orange juice or concentrate makes a lot of sense. I'm going to try it myself. In mine you should add lemon juice. I forgot about that! In yours with the citric acid in the orange juice, you don't have to. It sounds like a good method!
Anyways thanks for the post!

Probably the best method is just using prepared sugar as described in my link, but I hate using sugar if I don't have to. In your recipe you could omit the sugar too.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to freeze anything

This post was edited by Drew51 on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 9:07

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™