Califorina Peaches?

redrover1August 9, 2012

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I live in East Tennessee and have bought a few peaches at the grocery store this past weekend and would like to try to raise a tree from seed. 2 of the peaches I bought were just labled Califorina Peaches. They are yellow freestone. Any idea what tree they may be. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

redover:

They could be any of hundreds of varieties. But it doesn't really matter since the fruit from a seedling tree won't be like the fruit you bought. Same principal as our kids being different from their parents.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 9:36AM
calliope(6)

Please, don't knock peach trees on their own roots. I just harvested almost a bushel from one of those 'pit grown' peach trees, and they are the best peaches I ever raised or ate for that matter. They may not be 'clones' of the parent tree, but chances are still pretty good that they'll be a tree worth having. This tree is now 23 years old and hasn't missed a lick producing without sprays, thinning or pesticides. It had a twin I planted at the same time, a storm with terrific wind shears took down when it was loaded with fruit. The fellow who did the same experiment you are considering told me me they would be white, so like fruitnut says, it's a grab bag. They ended up being much like a red-haven instead. Freestone and very good. Peach trees and other pit fruits tend to produce better results than other types of fruit trees when grown from seed.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 2:48AM
maplerbirch(4)

That is a good point. We are so accustomed to things being hybridized, grafted, cloned, inbred, crossbred to achieve what the mass production produce gurus decide we want, that we can't imagine the genetics of a nonmanipilated generation, having value.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 10:12AM
MrClint

I can't add anything more to Fruitnut's post as it directly answers the original poster's question perfectly. My response is mostly geared toward maplerbirch.

Grafting is more of a practical matter than a diabolical plot drawn up by the Illuminati. I have limited space and a goal of being able to harvest fresh fruit every day of the year (mostly because I can). If I plant known varieties, I have a fairly reliable window for harvest and can plan for successive harvests. It does me no good to harvest a bunch of stuff all at one time (canning is not one of my goals). My plan goes down the drain with an unknown seedling that may take many years to produce a crop of unknown quality at an unknown time.

That's not to say that a seedling tree has no value, or that it is a total waste of time. If the fruit turns out to be undesirable, you can always top graft it with a known variety.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™