How often and when to fertilize avocado trees

dailysoAugust 27, 2013

Hello,

I planted avocado trees (the varieties Oro Negro and Haas) a year ago in Sarasota, Florida, and people told me not to fertilize them for roughly the first 6 months. I fertilized them this week. How many times a year should I fertilize?

Do the times of year I fertilizer matter, and if yes, what are the best times of year?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdelafuente(9)

I fertilize mine in February, June, and September. What type of fertilizer do you use? Usually in the label it tells you when to fertilize. I use Evergreen Avocado and Citrus.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 9:24AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

I am in California, and I fertilize them with my citrus - Feb, April, June, Sept. And, pretty heavily. Most commercial growers fertilize with their water continually, which is actually what the prefer, but I'm not set up to do that.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:39PM
dailyso

Thanks, what type of fertilizer do you use? Thanks

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 9:49AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

A variety of different things. Mainly something formulated for citrus & avocado (and usually mango on the label). We have a nice product here by Gro Power Citrus & Avocado Food. I use this because it has a fairly large amount of humus and humic acid in it, which for me being on DG is very helpful. I also will luse Vigoro Citrus & Avocado Fertilizer and have used Lilly Miller's Citrus & Avocado fertilizer as well. And, I've even just used a 15-15-15 fertilizer with micros if that's all I have on hand. Many good choices out there. I would see if there is something formulated for your area, to meet micro needs that might be lacking in your soils.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™