Is Cherry plum (Prunus cerasifera) same as Cherry-Plum?

HappyBallz(9A/B Valrico,Florida)August 24, 2012

I been asked to find some Cherry Plum trees and I am getting confused if Cherry Plum (Prunus cerasifera)is the same thing as what Dave Wilson and etc. market as Cherry-Plum hybrids?

Also, what environmental do Cherry Plums grow? Can I grow them here in Florida with only 200-450 Chill hours? Any places where I can get them from?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Those are different and I agree it is very confusing. The Dave Wilson cherry-plums (Sprite/Delight) are a cross of plum and sand cherry.

Sprite is supposed to grow well in hotter climates but I don't know about the chill hours; Dave Wilson lists chill on their site. Sprite has been an easy grower for me but has been splitting badly. I don't know about chill on the cerasifera plums.

Bay Laurel is a standard source for Dave Wilson varieties. I would look at a southern nursery such as Just Fruits and Exotics to see what low-chill plums they have.

Scott

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 11:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HappyBallz(9A/B Valrico,Florida)

Thanks for reply Scott,

The ones I want to find is the "true" nature-created Cherry plum (Prunus cerasifera).

I can't seem to find many information/places to buy about the Prunus cerasifera... all of that other cherry-plum hybrids pop up instead in the searches... I guess I'll keep looking!

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 3:32PM
More Discussions
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™