applesauce recipes

garyt33(5/6)August 26, 2013

Anyone have any good applesauce recipes they would like to share ? I usually just add a little apple juice and brown sugar but would like to try something different.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
curtis(5)

We cut out any bad spots and then 1/2 the apple and put in a roaster for 4 hours (ish) then put through a crank thing that separates the good from the bad. the sauce comes out a shoot on the side the skins and seeds out the other end. Then back into the roaster with the lid off to condense it. I don't know how much reduction in volume, (a guess is to 75%) we decide by sticking a spoon in it and seeing how it looks and tastes. When it cools we put it in gallon zip lock bags and into the freezer.

Since we start with quality tree ripened apples there are only two recipes #1 apples only #2 Add cinnamon

I cannot imagine anything else that could be added to improve on this if starting with good apples.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 11:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RPost78(8A)

I make really good chunky applesauce. I use the golden delicious, but any will do. I cut into small square pieces and put into a skillet with a really good apple juice. I add a piece of ginger root (peeled), cinnamon, and a bit of lemon juice. Simmer until all reduces and viola! It's really yummy and my kids love it! I got the idea from a Rachel Ray show then just tweaked it to my liking! I'm an eyeball it and taste it kinda cook so I never know measurements! Sorry!

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
Best tasting pawpaw varieties
I would love to hear from others who have tasted different...
shane11
Sponsored Products
Irish Soda Bread Recipe Dish & Stand
$16.99 | zulily
KitchenAid RKP26M1XES Espresso 6-quart Pro 600 Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer (Refurbishe
Overstock.com
Mayo Maker
$8.99 | zulily
Philips HD9910/21 Airfryer Non-stick Fry/Grill Pan
Overstock.com
Three Kringle
$110.00 | Horchow
'Chef at Work' Chalkboard Personalized Decal
$24.99 | zulily
Cyril Vase w/ Flowers - KleinReid
$308.75 | HORNE
Cappuccino Truffles - GOLD