Honeychrisp leaves

luke_oh(zone 5 NE Ohio)August 26, 2012

I have 2 honeycrisp 3 year old trees. Both trees have dull leaves, and now showing some red blotching. The dull leaves are apparent when compared with the other apple trees in the orchard.

Thanks, luke

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

Honeycrisp often has chlorotic foliage although I don't know the cause, which is why I've waited until now to comment. It is a troublesome variety in many ways and I've found it to be more successful the more vigorous the rootstock. Someone mentioned here that it was almost discarded by breeders because it performed so poorly on its own rootstock. It was scionwood grafted on more vigorous rootstocks that saved the variety from the ax.

My best performing Honeycrisp are grafts on very large old trees where they produce fruit without the huge rot problem I generally have on younger Honeycrisp trees.

As far as your problem, the only thing I can suggest is to be sure your soil pH is between 6.5 and 7. Trees respond differently to nutrient deficiencies. If the trees are not adequately vigorous you can submit leaves for nutrient analysis, although it's probably too late for an accurate assessment this year- you can check with a lab for their opinion on that. A soil test would also be useful.

Your cooperative extension may be helpful in pursuing this kind of analysis.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 6:37AM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™