can i cut off brown rot and eat rest?

johndoug(z6 Philly)August 5, 2012

couple questions.

i did buy fungicides to help me going forward, but question is for peaches that have brown rot spots (they haven't progressed through whole peach), can i cut them off and eat the rest of the peach?

also, as the brown rot progesses fast towards the peach getting ripe, if i pick the peach before it getting ripe, without any brown rot spots, when it ripens inside, will it develop the same brown rot as if it were on the tree?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

You can do it, sure, but the rot is often more extensive inside the fruit than it appears from the outside.

Yes, ripening fruit can certainly develop rot. I dip my stone fruit after picking into water with peroxide added. I don't know how much it helps, though.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 11:33AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I got distracted with all my deer and squirrels and the brown rot again got out of control in the last few weeks. I routinely eat parts of fruit that are rotted; if its over half rotted there is often not much to eat. If you are getting lots of rot on a tree it usually means you will get lots of rot on the unblemished fruit as they ripen inside. Rotting varies a lot from variety to variety; I have replaced all of my most severely rotting peach varieties with more resistant ones.

Scott

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 11:14PM
bob_z6(6b/7a SW CT)

I just came across the following a few days ago and it stuck in my head (regrettably). The picture isn't very appetizing- I can't imagine doing that outside of a survival situation.

About halfway down the page:
"brown rot isn't at all poisonous and I often crush an affected apple in my hand (they are semi-liquefied inside) and drink the juice, which is turning into cider"

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 12:22AM
More Discussions
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™