Please help me ID this apple.....

alisande(Zone 4b)August 13, 2013

We must have planted the tree 35 years ago, but circumstances resulted in its neglect for a long time. It pretty much disappeared from our radar. We revived that part of the orchard a few years ago, but June freezes eliminated our apple crop across the board for the past few years.

Now we've discovered this amazing apple: redder than red, great flavor, and fully ripe in mid-August! This is way earlier than any of our other apples. They're a nice size, ranging from 2.5 to 3" across and 2 to 2.5" tall. The flesh is slightly whiter than it appears in this picture, I think, and tinged with red at the edges.

To me it tastes quite a bit like a Mac, perhaps slightly tarter, although I don't have a Mac for a direct comparison. My Macs are still small, and nowhere near ready.

Do you know of an apple that looks like this and ripens this early?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spartan-apple

Alisande:

There is a variety called 'Early McIntosh' that ripens in
August. Regular McIntosh would ripen in late September.

Many years ago an orchard I worked at had some Early
McIntosh. I thought they were great and wondered why the owner did not plant more of them. His answer was
"come back next year and you will know why". I did
work for him next year and found not an apple on the tree. Early McIntosh is terribly biennial bearing. Not good for a commercial orchardist.

I am not sure if this is what you have but it might be a possiblity since you mention it tastes like a McIntosh.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 11:33AM
megamav(5a - NY)

The only other one I can think of that I've had that tastes like McIntosh, is small, red, and has that shape is Empress.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 12:53PM
alisande(Zone 4b)

Spartan-Apple, could Early Mcintosh have had its named changed to Jersey Mac? Based on this description, I think this is my apple. I'll have to see if it produces anything next year or not.

Jersey Mac

Thanks, both of you!

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™