pears brown in center

marricgardensAugust 26, 2012

Our pear trees, about 8 years old, are now bearing fruit. We were eager to taste them and the outside was delicious, however when we bit down further, there was brown around the core. What causes this? A fungus? These trees were labeled as '3 variety' trees when we bought them. Any advice? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

That happens with many types of pears when allowed to ripen on the tree- unless it's the result of codling moth, in which case the seeds would be eaten and you could see a tunnel.

Many varieties of pears need to be picked when still hard, stored for a couple weeks in the fridge and then ripened at room temp for about a week to soften. Otherwise they rot in the center by the time the outside is perfect or sometimes the flesh is very grainy.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 2:45PM
marricgardens

Thanks! I didn't know that about pears. We get very strong winds here sometimes and more than half the pears fell off the tree. Could we have collected them and put them in the frig? Marg

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 3:20PM
alan haigh

if they are sweet and hard. If they are still bitter they don't seem to improve a lot in my experience.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™