Cornus mas Fruit Ripening

Bradybb(wa8)August 29, 2012

I have a small Cornelian Cherry whose fruit are getting ready to harvest.This is the first crop.What is the best way to process these,to separate the seeds?I'd like to make a sauce.

If anyone has experience,please let me know.Olga,I'm calling your name.Thanks,Brady

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Actually, they should be riper than that for best flavor, IMHO. I wait until they're almost a burgundy color. You could experiment and see how you like them, though.

I found a pretty easy method, actually, a lot better than trying to pit by hand. I wash, then put into a kettle with maybe an inch of water in the bottom, bring to the boil, turn back to a simmer, cover, and let cook about 10 minutes until mushy. Then, I have a colander with holes just the right size, the pits won't go through. I use a wooden or plastic spoon to press the entire mass against the sides until all flesh is extracted. Set the entire colander into a large bowl to collect the flesh and juice.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 2:37PM
Bradybb(wa8)

denni,
Oh yes,I'm going to wait a bit longer.I wanted to have a plan though when the time comes.Thanks,Brady

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 9:27PM
skyjs(z8 OR, USA)

Waiting until the fruit is truly ripe is absolutely crucial for cornus mas. Many, many people have gone from "I hate this fruit/inedible!" to "I really like this fruit", when they wait until they're ripe. I gently shake the tree and pick up what falls. I have to do this a few times during the harvest season. Picking them from the tree usually results in not ripe enough fruit. I eat some fresh, but freeze most for the winter when I don't have much fruit. They fight against colds and flus.
John S
PDX OR

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 11:59PM
Bradybb(wa8)

A few fruits fell off the other day and they tasted okay,somewhat astringent.I'm sure they will make good preserves a little later.Thanks,Brady

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 1:36AM
wildforager(5b-WI)

Brady how did you do with your C. mas harvest? You can see my blog post if you'd like. My experience is outlined there....

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornus Mas harvest 2012

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 12:01PM
Bradybb(wa8)

wildforager,
I did get a small crop,plus I went to the nursery that it was originally bought from and received permission to pick up the fruit off the ground from their other plants.That gave me a couple more pounds.
I used denninmi's method of preparing them.It was kind of difficult separating the seeds,but it tasted great with a little sugar.Very good with vanilla ice cream.
Thanks for your post.I'll have to look into the Victorio Strainer. Brady

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 12:27PM
wildforager(5b-WI)

Good idea to connect with the nursery! The Victorio Strainer is indispensable in our kitchen. We put a lot of different berries through it. The first one I bought was on ebay. Then on our annual trip to Lopez Island, WA I found one at the free store. What a score!

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 12:53PM
chervil2(z5 MA)

The ripe Cornelian cherries make an excellent jam. This year I tried pickling the unripe fruit in brine and the taste was like olives.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 7:40PM
wildforager(5b-WI)

Hey Abbie, Thats cool! I've heard that the unripe fruits can be cured like olives. Did they cure in a similar way? Did the cured pulp come off the stone like a regular olive?

Today I roasted some C.Mas seeds in the oven and ground them into a coffee. Cornus coffee isn't quite as good as dandelion or chicory but it is unique. It has kind of a nutty flavor. I might try a stronger brew next time. My first cup was a bit weak.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™