Dwarf Apple Trees for zone 3

lavender_lass(4b)August 28, 2009

I'd like to get two small apple trees to put in the back of my nieces' fairy garden. It's a perennial garden with a grass path in between the two beds. One bed is against the house and the other borders a grassy area. I want to put two apple trees, no higher than 10' tall and 8'wide behind the bed, on the edge of the grassy area. Underneath, I want to plant chives, a few bulbs and some vinca. This is really more for fun and shade than a lot of apples. (I have a nice large apple tree on the other side of the house that gives us more apples than we can use.) Any suggestions on a couple of cold hardy smaller apple trees? It gets pretty cold here, so my biggest concern is that they do well through the winter. I don't care what color the apples are and I don't mind if they're a little tart or small, but crabapples look too wide for my space. Thanks for the input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frozen_north(Zone 4a - Minnesota)

You might find Edible Forest Nursery's web site informative. He specializes in apples for Zone 2 and the colder portions of Zone 3.

You could try something on Bud.9 rootstock, which is the size you want, and which should be hardy as long as you have snow cover or mulch during the winter. Edible Forest and Cummins both sell trees on Bud 9. Honeycrisp and Zestar are both hardy in your zone and make excellent eating apples.

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™