Fertilizing Blackberries

SgtKarl(7)August 7, 2012

Hello All,

I have some 2 year old Kiowa blackberries that I need to apply fertilizer to help primocane growth. But here in Oklahoma the temp is 100 - 110 everyday. They are getting water but would the fertilizer put too much stress on the plants in this heat or just wait a month or so for the temps to come down. Thanks for your help.

Karl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
c5tiger

I would be very careful fertilizing after August. I fertilized a small fig first of September and it never stopped growing. A late November frost knocked all the leaves off. It put out new growth and got hit with frost again, did this 2 more times and then died. You don't want to push a lot of new growth going into the winter. I don't know if fertilizer would stress it in the heat.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 4:12PM
larry_gene

Did your primocanes come out thinner and weaker than last year's florocanes?

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 11:04PM
capoman(5a)

Yeah, I wouldn't put fertilizer on this late in the season. It may just push growth that wouldn't harden off properly. Best way to improve growth is to fertilize with ammonium sulfate in the spring, and remove all flowers for that year. It's amazing how much blueberries grow without flowers.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 2:01PM
tshia6br

Capoman you must have blueberries on the brain.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 8:06PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

SgtKarl

Fertilize your blackberry plants today cooler temp coming down and so is growth coming back. Remember Blackberry plant fall in class as Heavy Feeder you grow larger root system if any fertilizer left in soil over winter spring brake out have larger flowers and larger leave this make more sugar and sweeter berry. Spring at 5% bloom is next fertilization that 4 days after you see first bloom on all plants then again at 100% bloom this make berries bigger and give great start on new canes after harvest another application I just gave 4 applications in year for Blackberries this take care heavy feeding of plants. I put out chicken mature 3 tons to acre in December and 4 application during year 10-10-10 on sandy land.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 7:03AM
More Discussions
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™