Seedless Concords - not seedles, or not concord

peachymomo(Ca 8)August 22, 2012

Two years ago when I planted my grapevines I got 'Seedless Concord' grapes from two different sources, one online and the other from a local nursery because it looked different than the one I already had.

So, two years later both have fruited and the fruit is ripe on one and close on the other. One looks just like my neighbor's regular seeded concord vines, from the color of the new growth to the color, shape, and size of the berries. So I tried my first the other day and it tasted exactly like a concord, down to the large seeds. I tried more and every grape had seeds, so this is a concord grape that is not seedless. The other vine has seedless fruit, small, dark purple in long, well-filled clusters, and it has none of the flavor I expect in a concord. It's just sweet, no foxiness or whatever. That is the one that is fully ripe, the concords are still about half green, tart but easily recognizable.

So of my two vines, as far as I'm concerned, neither is a Seedless Concord.

Years ago I saw a Food Network show that featured a woman who made pies out of seedless concord grapes, and I really want my own vine to make wonderful pies out of. Has anyone had luck with this variety? Is there a particular cultivar that anyone can recommend for pie making? I read about 'Thomcord' which is a seedless cross of Concord and Thomson Seedless, think I should try one of those?

I guess it all boils down to this: What is the best seedless grape for pie making?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foolishpleasure

I have the same thing concord with seeds. Never believe the nursery. First they get drunk then they label their trees. They don't care do you think we will go ask for refund 2 year after the fact. Any way grape seed mas medicine value. I am looking for a grape tree which is seedless called BANATY. It is middle east native and i can not find it here

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
apple and cherry tree bark peeling
Is this a concern? Thanks in advance. Dan
Dan Liptak
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Should i go ahead and put my newly grafted pear trees in the sun?
I did 4 cleft grafts last weekend and they have been...
tlbean2004
Table Grapes for the Southeast
It seems that most of my table grapes have not survived...
trianglejohn
Sponsored Products
Accent Rug: Concord Gold 2' x 3'
$66.00 | Home Depot
Brushed Nickel Table Lamp: Concord 34.5 in. Incandescent Table Lamp CLI-TL500388
Home Depot
Seedling by thomaspaul Damask Light Blaster Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Seedling by thomaspaul Aqua Stockholm Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Bassett Mirror Concorde Round Glass Dining Table w/ Chrome Base
Beyond Stores
Decorama Stainless Steel 52-Inch Energy Star Ceiling Fan
$124.20 | Bellacor
Area Rug: Concord Floral Scroll Kaleidoscope 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Concord Antique Brass Three-Light Outdoor Pendant with Clear Glass