Too late to transplant raspberries in NJ?

YuriP(6)August 28, 2013

I picked up a raspberry clipping (2 stems with roots and 1 stem without roots) while visiting a friend. For about 2 weeks I had them in a pot and they started growing (see pic). I am in northern NJ, so we have a bit over 2 months before we start seeing near freezing temps.

If I plant them in the garden now, will they survive the winter? Or should I make nurture them indoors thourgh the winter with a light, which would be a pain int he butt and who know's if they'd make it?
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlieboring

It should be okay. I transplanted some last fall and they did fine.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 12:23PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

They'll be just fine. Its hard to kill raspberries...trust me..i've tried. I actually have about a dozen in pots that need to go in the ground once this heat lets up.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 12:26PM
ericwi

Fall transplant season here in Wisconsin might run from September 15 to October 15. The idea is to plant late enough that the shorter days and longer nights give the plant some relief from sunlight, and yet, allow some time for the roots to develop and grow a bit before winter sets in, and the ground freezes. I have successfully transplanted blueberry shrubs in the fall, and it is commonly done with all sorts of trees. It should work with raspberry canes, as well, I would think.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 12:32PM
YuriP(6)

Awesome, thanks for the encouragement!

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 1:41PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Yes fall is the very best time to do it. i would not do it in the spring. You would probably lose the season, they would survive, but you would lose the season, or some or most of it. Doing it now you should get a full season next year.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™