Protect in place or pot and move?

bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)August 19, 2013

I have decided I want to grow mango and despite all the predictions of global warming I am still getting 1-5 sub freezing nights a year.

Weighing the pros and cons of planting the mangoes in ground and having a structure I can quickly protect them with or put them in 30 gallon pots and on the cold nights and have a way to tilt them and wheel them in to the garage. I have a tractor with a FEL so lifting them wont be an issue.

I have settled (I think) on Carrie and Pickering. Both are dwarfs and I will keep them under 10 feet tall.

For a structure I was considering something more substantial than fabric, perhaps 4 sided structure held together by hinges with permanent anchors in the ground to tie it down to? Something that could go up in 30 minutes would be nice.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melikeeatplants

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/ is full of South Florida (and some central Florida) growers. They mostly post about Mangos you should check with them....

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

Bamboo, why dont you try the northern palm truck, and try erecting a temp structure, and wrap the tree in C9 christmas lights? This allows some palms to grow in Montreal, Toronto, Utah, Iowa and Wisconsin.

The most common I have seen are a large semi insulated wooden box. The easiest I have seen is making a "cage" around the tree with bars or slats, and doing a double wrap in 8MM vapor barrier, then throwing in the lights. IMO the temp wooden boxes should work the best, as they can take damage a bit easier.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 7:13AM
More Discussions
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™