Deer Prunning My Blackberries

Fred_1933(7b)August 29, 2013

I don't have any positive proof, but I think the deer(s) are eating the cane tips on my Tripple Crown, Apache, Natchez, and Quachita new growth canes. My blackberry patch, which consists of 14 plants have florecanes from 10' to 20' in length, and they are tied up on wires running from 4"x4" treated posts. I've checked these new growth tips each day and notice most all have been eaten off. I don't have any evidence of any other culprit that may be eating the tips. And I don't see any deer tracks around, although, I have bark mulch around all these plants and down each row the deer may still be coming around at night. The blackberrty patch is some 100' from the house. I also have two Prime Jan plants that are about 5' tall with new growth (which has thorns) and the deer don't eat them...

This post was edited by Fred_1933 on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 12:54

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jtburton

That occasionally happens to the blackberry canes that protrude from behind my electric fence. I don't think the deer actually like blackberry plants that much, but it's more of a curiosity "tasting".

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 1:48PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

Deer eat plant here first year then don't any more, but they take to liking of berries when get ripe with few ripe one they eat all berries black red and green one. A big are medium size dog helps keep them at bay. If in dogs protected area he show you his protect area by marking area your presents beyond berries give dog signal to protect that area.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 2:26PM
Fred_1933(7b)

Had some black 1" netting in storage. Just finish installing it around the whole blackberry garden. I had 100' X 10" wide that I could staple to the out-side of the posts. If it's deer they will have to jump the netting. Might wake up tomorrow morning and find some deer all tangled up in the netting.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Edwin Turlington
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
Questions on American Plum, Chickasaw Plum, & Beach Plum
Hi, I have limited space and will definitely be planting...
njbiology
Help me choose fruit varieties to grow in NJ and nurseries
I have been reading some old posts regarding the fruit...
bemonkey Zone 7 South New Jersey
Gophers killing apple trees... Help!
Gophers have killed 2 roses and one prized apple tree...
peteramu
Sponsored Products
Elizabeth Crystal Chandelier
Overstock.com
Jeweled Navigator Wall Outdoor Fountain - HG-GF-JN-1
Hayneedle
To! To! Ro! Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Deer Silhouette Door Hanger
$34.99 | zulily
LBL Icicle Clear Glass Nickel Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting