Blueberry and strawberry questions!!

RPost78(8A)August 26, 2013

Can anyone identify what type of blueberry plant I have? I had two but one died so I have to get another one this winter when they go on sale. So, no fruit from it yet. I recently moved it from the front to the back of the house and its doubled in size in the last month. I guess it was too hot up front.

As for the strawberry question, when will I start seeing fruit? I had a small strawberry hanging basket last year and it has produced a few strawberries. Usually enough for the birds to pick through or me to just pop in my mouth while I'm outside. This year I have planted a few more plants and they have multiplied into many plants, but no flowers or fruit since early this spring. They are sequoia.

What are some common pests I should look out for? I have had some pest issues with my zucchini and cucumbers this year that I didn't have last year. They came with a vengeance this year! I don't want that to happen next year!

How cold tolerant are strawberries? I won't be able to move them this winter.

I'm in Central Texas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RPost78(8A)

Closer view of blueberry plant.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 12:53PM
RPost78(8A)

Here's my strawberry setup. They started as 3 plants and now they are growing everywhere. I would ultimately like to fill the entire raised bed with them by next spring.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 12:56PM
ltilton

Do nothing. By next spring that bed will be full and spilling over.

Well, do one thing. Pull out those onions.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 1:03PM
mirendajean(Donegal, Ireland)

Sorry, can't help with the blueberry.

My onions and strawberries love one another. They happily grow in the same bed.

I never let young strawberry plants create too many runners. I pinch out all but one or two. I want them to direct all their energy into establishing themselves the first year. In their second year i get heavier crops and at tge end of the season I let each plant create 1 or 2 new plants. In thier third year I allow the plant to produce as many offspring as possible and then I get rid of the original plant at the end of the season. 3 -4 years is a good life for most strawberry plants.

I do have one strawberry plant that's been around for 5 years or so. I got it at Aldi and its a strange powerhouse of a strawberry plant. As long as it crops heavily I will leave it be. Sooooo, maybe your strawberries will be like my mine and produce over the years.

I hope that helps.

M

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™