Blueberries in large containers

bejay9_10(zone 9/10)August 31, 2013

Raising blueberries always sounded like a lot of extra work - especially if attempting to monitor the acidity of the soil. Also, I felt that perhaps a blueberry in my temperate climate might not have much flavor.

However, I inherited a nice plastic nursery tub - about 2 ft. deep and 2 1/2 ft in diameter. I'm wondering if I buried it in the ground with holes in the bottom, it might be easier to keep the acid problem more constant, and also facilitate watering - which is becoming an expense issue.

Am also interested in a variety for my climate that might have a bit more tartness. I'm near the ocean with foggy summers and no chill hours to speak of.

Any suggestions?

bejay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

bejay:

I've got a large container blueberry I just buried outdoors. I like it for temperature control and stability in the wind. But it doesn't make watering easier, it's harder. You can't tell when water runs out the bottom so are always guessing on when and how much to water.

In the container size you have wind and temperature won't be an issue. If you set the container in a saucer you will know when water has pasted through the media and the wicking action will save some water.

If this is city or well water, pH will be a big issue.You will need to acidify the water unless it's rainwater. And if using a saucer under the pot you might run into salt buildup over time. Leach and drain the pot/saucer once a month or so.

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 1:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

I'm guessing that you're in coastal California? If so, Sunshine Blue is low chill variety (150 hrs) that's very popular on the west coast. As a bonus, it's also reported to be very tolerant of higher than ideal pH. I have one that I planted in the spring of 2012 in a 6" deep raised bed filled with a blend of pine bark fines and peat, and, despite the fact that the underlying soil has a pH of about 6.5, it's thriving.

If you get at least 200 chill hours, you might want to look into Sweetcrisp, Springhigh, and some of the other low chill cultivars out of Florida. I don't know if any of them will meet your tartness requirement, but, for low chill areas, southern highbush are generally the best fit. If you get 300 or more chill hours, your options expand a bit to include some rabbiteye varieties.

As for the buried pot idea, you can definitely make that work, but I'd suggest that you at least consider a raised bed or mound. You'll probably have to water more frequently, but you also won't have to worry about the potential drainage issues that fruitnut mentioned.

This post was edited by shazaam on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 14:29

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™