Best Time to Plant Kiwi vines?

fireinthevinesAugust 28, 2012

Hello! I have been planning for a kiwi arbor for a few weeks. I decided on hearty kiwi, and ordered a pair of vines for about $10 on Amazon. The posting said they would be shipped dormant in Winter, so I assumed I would be receiving them this winter. Well, duh, they just meant if I purchase them in winter, then they'd come dormant, and that makes sense - NOW, haha. Regardless, I have two kiwi vines on the way and haven't budgeted for my arbor for another two weeks yet.

Can I plant these kiwi this late in the year? They are set to drop leaves in October, right? Should I baby them in the pots until spring, or get them planted right away? I don't want to have to cut ravenous kiwi vines out of my basement before the last frost shows up!

Just in case you're curious, I'm going with a 20" arbor made of 4x4s - 5' for the male, and 15' for the female. My plans also include screw eye hooks and cable, and I have a great diagram for training the vines along it. I'm so excited to get started!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

I would image those kiwis will need a dormant period. If you could get them yet this fall, you could put them in as long as you can get a shovel in the ground...i doubt they will send them in the middle of winter, although who knows... if that would be the case, i would put them in a garage or even refrigerator until you can get them in the soil (as soon as a shovel cna go into the ground)...

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 4:09PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

It sounds like they are shipping them now, so just plant them now. Potted plants can usually be planted year-round, the only downside is if its a hot spell.

Scott

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 9:21AM
charlieboring

I have three hardy kiwi plants (1 male and two female) that are about 7 years old. I built a T-trellis using 4X4s as the posts and 2X6 cross pieces (2 each per post). I used bolts to secure the cross pieces to the posts. The posts are set in the ground with pre-mix (very easy) and I leveled them before removing the props I used to hold them in place. I used galvanized wire attached to the cross pieces to support the vines.

This is my first year of allow the plants to use the trellis and I did not get blossoms. They look very nice. I am hoping for next year.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™