single sided leaf out

cbfindlay(z6 OH)August 26, 2013

Bought a peach from Stark Brothers - Red Haven - this spring, planted, it started to leaf out nicely right away... on ONE side of the trunk. All of the promising looking buds on one side of the trunk have now become nice little branches and look good. On the OTHER side of the trunk... nada. zip. buds look dead.
There is no apparent reason for this. it's not like it has blasting sun on that side or anything, and nothing's eating at the tree.
So - is there any chance this thing might grow on the opposite side next spring?
If not, what do I do with it? Is this tree pointless, should I dig it up and toss it, or ... I don't know, I can't imagine a one-sided tree ever being healthy...
Stark says they are sending me a replacement in November. Seems kind of late to plant to me! But they said if it's dormant, it should be fine...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Early November can be a good time to plant, I wouldn't worry.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 2:53PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

You can probably salvage the one sided tree. It depends somewhat on whether the bark is dead on that side. But even if it is do this right now. Train one of the lowest branches upright. Tie it upright to the trunk. Then next spring cut off as much of the current trunk as possible and head that now upright branch off at the height you want new branches. Presto you have a new tree with branches on all sides.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 3:11PM
mes111(5b -Purling NY & 7b -Nassau County NY)

OR...
buy another young peach of a different variety.... plant it in the same hole and prune off the branches that are facing the one sided tree you have and...
presto double your pleasure & double your fun.

You will now have two "half" trees giving two varieties of fruit in the same space and without grafting.

Mike ...ggg (sly grin)

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 6:13PM
More Discussions
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™