Should I remove banana shoots/pups?

wardog25August 29, 2013

In March I planted an ice cream banana that was 2-3 feet tall. It is now like 12 feet tall with 4 shoots/pups coming out of it.

Two of the pups are already much bigger than the original tree was in March. Do they take away nutrients from the main tree?

Just wondering if I should remove them to get better fruit production. Or should I keep them and get more fruit, more often, because of a higher number of trees?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Your choice to remove or not.

But know that the pups replace the "mother" plant because after "mom" fruits, it dies.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 1:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

You can remove some, but I would always leave a couple near the mother plant. After she flowers it will die to be replaced by the suckers. Over a few years bananas will "walk" a bit in this way.

If you do make sure you dont damage the corm of the mom, and make sure the pup has a bit of root, NOT only rhizome. This is the best way to propagate them. IF you grow any hybrid banana you wont get the same fruit, you need to divide them as I mentioned above. You can grow the seeds, as I said they will differ from the mom.

I have to do this to my Basjoo.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™