Recommendation for Serviceberry for Zone 9, Northern California

akaurgardener(9)August 14, 2014

Hello garden friends!

I'm looking for a recommendation for a service berry tree to add to my garden. I really love the transitions and I saw one in Southern California. It was a tree and looked so lightweight like a Japanese maple.

I'm looking to plant it next to one of the posts of my deck as that space needs some vertical height and color. I'd like to keep it dwarf size, no more than 6-7 feet, ideally. At first I thought I'd plant a dogwood for the white flowers, but then I liked the idea of a Japanese maple there, until I saw a serviceberry! So gorgeous!

I really love how it goes from white flowers to yummy berries to fiery red/orange. Gorgeous!

I'm in El Sobrante - coastal Northern California, Zone 9. Is there a particular serviceberry tree you would recommend for my area and purposes? I don't mind the mess of a fruit tree (we have a mini orchard in the back and share it all it with the birds and natural wildlife surrounding us).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

The tree could have been Autumn Brilliance.The tree will grow in zone 9,according to some nurseries.
I tried a few of the the berries and they reminded me of Apple. Brady

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™