which species for layering/air layering?

cousinfloydAugust 24, 2012

What fruit species can be layered/air layered successfully without the use of rooting hormones? I know figs take to layering very well. It seems like a pretty easy propagation method. If I knew there were other species for which it would be simple and successful, I'd like to take advantage of the possibility. I'd be interested to know about any fruits in addition to figs, but I'm particularly wondering about mulberries and hardy kiwis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

All the Ribes (red and black currants, Jostaberries, gooseberries) will layer naturally if a branch touches the ground. Can't help you with kiwis or mulberries but since kiwis are a vine I imagine they would layer too.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 2:46PM
cousinfloyd

Thanks, flora, I just walked past my ribes (one of each of the ones you listed) and was thinking I should have asked specifically about them, too.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 2:59PM
murkwell

With black currents where I live one can literally prune off 12" in the late winter or spring and plunge it into the soil where one wants a plant and it will grow.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 6:34PM
glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.

cousinfloyd,yes kiwis will layer but they take a few months to do so.I find the kolomitka will root with no root hormone but the arguta benefit from a little IBA hormone.I usually bend a cane to the ground and put a rock on it.Grapes root well with no root hormone as do raspberries and blackberries and as mentioned above goose berries and currants.They say mulberry root well also...I am doing it right now and I will let you know how well it works.
Glenn

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 8:16PM
copingwithclay

Although I have airlayered muscadines for several years, this was my first year to airlayer mulberry, pom, and fig branches inside of pvc pipe compartments. More than half made it. I also tried some other enclosures. I would type up a detailed account if you want.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 11:48PM
More Discussions
Root control bag to control Mulberry tree size
Hi, I am planning to use a root control bag to limit...
roots_feeding
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Any idea what's causing this on my blueberry?
A couple of the newer branches are turning black at...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Wisconsin honeyberry/haskap growers?
I'm combining the two as it seems with continued breeding...
wisconsitom
Sponsored Products
Pomegranate Tray
$250.00 | Horchow
Indoor Fan and Light Kit: Westinghouse Contempra IV 52 in. Polished Brass Ceilin
$72.90 | Home Depot
Elan Rondo Wall Sconce
Lightology
Hanover Wall Sconce by SONNEMAN Lighting
$350.00 | Lumens
LBL Lighting | Mini-Akari Pendant Light
$280.00 | YLighting
Cattelan Italia | Tech Drive Extension Table
YLiving.com
Cloudline LED Wall Light - Snow White - Livdin
$239.00 | HORNE
New Hand Knotted Wool Adina Collection Orienta Red Kazak Rug H677