Peach tree pruning

wardog25August 14, 2012

I have a 2 year old peach tree that is growing some new lower branches and they all want to go straight up. They are getting longer and longer, but still are at about an 80 degree angle with the ground.

Will they sag down in time or do I need to do something to encourage that? I want the lower branches, but I would like them to go mostly outward instead of upward.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foolishpleasure

So you like a tree that looks like a bush. I have some like yours and I air-layered them, They rooted good but still with the mother tree. I am planning to plant them in pots until the root get established then transfer them to ground in early spring.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 3:00AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Some peach trees naturally grow more upright than others.

If the shoots are too upright, the weight of the fruit won't pull them down. You can simply pull them down yourself if you want to with a little cotton string and some wire clothes hangers.

Take your wire clothes hangers, straighten them out and cut them in half. Bend a little hook on one end and push the other end into the ground where you want to bend the peach shoot down. Tie a big loop around the peach shoot and pull it down to the angle you want, and tie it off to the hanger pushed into the ground. As long as the shoot isn't too big, the hanger anchored to the ground will hold the shoot down.

I've done this countless times.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 9:44AM
olympia_gardener(5)

I just weight it down with a gallon plastic milk container filled up with water with a rope tie between the branch and the handle of the container. Make sure the container is in contact with ground.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 11:32AM
wardog25

great, thanks for the info!

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 8:51AM
alan haigh

String to a stake and string is a safer way to spread branches- or branch spreaders. Weights sometimes break branches in the wind.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 9:03AM
More Discussions
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™