What is eating my fruit trees?

MangotheMerrierAugust 8, 2014

Hello all,
I am an avid reader of this forum and am in need of some idea of what is causing and how to fix a problem.

I live on the central coast of Florida. Southern Brevard County to be exact. We have five acres on a creek I have planted several fruit trees on away from the natral areas of the property. Mangoes, Avacadoes, Tons of citrus, bananas, apples, a peach and POM's. Originally it was only eating pummelo...now it has eaten my pummelo, flame grapefruit, tangelo, keitt mango, started on my kent Mango, and two of my three Avacadoes, and both apples. I have coated all trees with seven and put bug pellet/slug killer around the bases. I have found deer tracks right up next to the trees but it doesn't look like deer are the culprit as you will see from the attached photo. The stem of the leaf is still attached to the tree and half circles are bitten into the leaf. No sign of any insects caterpillars or grasshoppers on the tree. I've set up a game camera in the area just to verify it's not the deer heard.any help is much appreciated!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I think you'll likely find that it's the deer eating your trees.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 3:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
appleseed70

The arched "smoothness" of the cuts looks like caterpillar feeding to me, but you should have seen them. Despite the game cam, I suspect that it's the deer like fruitnut said. They have an uncanny way of being elusive to their nasty deeds.
If you see hoof prints and you have apple tree damage it's basic 1+1=2 sort of math.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™